Skip to main content

Zhara's Blog


Donna: What started your interest in hair?

Zhara: I think for the majority of black women myself included, I've always been obssesed with a major interest in my hair! Lol. My hair has always been a forefront of never ending years of hair dilemmas and styles. Black hair is the most fragile and versatile texture in the world.This has made my hair journey an interesting one from being natural as a child to permed in my teen years with good and bad hair days that brought about emotions and experiences that lay down deep in the soul. A black woman can never escape her personal hair struggles unless she makes peace with it and works with her hair in tune with nature....thankfully going natural has definitley lead me to this path :)

Donna: Tell me about your website?

Zhara: It's actually more of a community of support and motivation more than a personal website per se. I joined a community online photo blog called fotki.com to document my personal hair journey among thousands of other black women who have gone natural mainly for support and motivation. I knew I would need some company on this journey and I have met the most fabulous women on this site they are all so beautiful inside and out!!!!

Donna: What special features does your website have?

Zhara: My albums in particular have a healthy alternative holistic approach to them. I showcase 100 per cent natural products and how to use them on natural hair. I provide my readers with alternative hair treatments like a natural hair detox using apple cidar vinegar, herbal hair rinse and healthy hair growth tea recipes. I talk a lot about health and wellness and the importance it has in helping grow long beautiful hair.

Donna: Why did you decide to go natural with your hair?

Zhara: I had to put an end to the constant struggles I was having over my hair. My hair had finally plumeted-the years of hair abuse caught up with me. I couldnt retain length anymore beacuse it just kept breaking off from repeated use of chemical relaxers. And honestly looking back it really didn't look very healthy at all...it was straggly and lifeless and the ends were discolored.

Donna: Why do you think keeping your hair natural is important?

Zhara: Wearing your natural God-given texture is important not only for your health but also for your sanity as a woman. We are meant to have this texture for a reason! Its part of our culture and heritage...it has a story. It's remembering and celebrating where we come from. Wearing your natural hair seperates your beauty form the most unique image a black woman can have – it establishes and distinguishes your roots. Also the versatility is endless with natural hair you can do more styles with natural hair than you can with relaxed and wow does it ever look amazing!

Donna: How do you keep your hair natural?

Zhara: I keep my hair protected during the week when I'm at work. I work out for a living so I usually keep it in braids or twists and then I take the style down and wear it out on the weekends. When I have a very special occassion or want to celebrate my natural hair with my blog readers I wear it in its unmanipulated natural state...fragile but breathtaking.

Donna: What special tips do you have for people who would like to have natural hair?

Zhara: Make sure to do your research....there are man, many black hair care forums and websites. There are a tonne of natural hair communities not to mention natural hair care books out there to teach you what to expect when you want to go natural and how to take good care of your tresses. Keep in mind the transition to going natural is a very personal one. It has many positive elements to evolving one's womanhood to be prepared to go through the challenge of change :) If you can find a mentor to walk you through your journey this can be very healing.

Donna: What do you think of the natural hair business - is it growing, etc?

Zhara: The natural hair business is booming!!!!! like every other trend everyone seems to be jumping on the band wagon lol. From commercials on TV, to natural hair salons, websites, books and hair shows you name it, it's out there...we are blessed to have gotten this far in the natural hair revolution is here to stay and thank God for that :).

Donna: Is there anything I have not asked you that you would like to discuss?

Zhara: Hair is a major part of a woman's image but remember that healthy hair comes from a healthy mind body and soul...they are very much connected. A large number of black women who go natural discover this connection and become a better woman inside and out...there is a bond that becomes so much tighter than your kinks and curls!
Thank you Donna!

You can contact Zhara at zhara@live.ca to find out more about her blog that is currently on hiatus for the summer.

Comments

  1. Thank you for valuable info provided for beauty salon tips and keep posting useful skincare and hair care tips.

    women's salon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hair extensions are always a great way to spice up your look for a wedding, graduation basically any and every special occasion! Achieve those dream voluminous curls for your wedding day, or get those long luscious locks you’ve been eyeing for your prom night. Hair extensions will help you reach those hair goals you’ve been envying. Beautiful virgin hair extensions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe all of the ideas you’ve introduced for your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for beginners. Could you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.
    online cosmetics Lahore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dr Donna Math Allschool

Front Page Video